Built about 1750 and originally called East Retford House, the property was largely remodelled about 1780 when it became known as Amcott House after its owner, who changed his name from Wharton Emerson to Wharton Amcotts upon his marriage to Ann Maria Amcotts. Sir Wharton Amcotts was the Member of Parliament for East Retford from 1780 - 1790 and 1796 to 1802. The house changed hands several times before being occupied by Alfred Pegler, founder of the Northern Rubber Works in Retford. His son Stephen Pegler lived here until 1937.
The house was purchased and used as offices by East Retford Council in 1937. Bassetlaw District Council continued to use the building until 1984 when the property was restored for use as the Bassetlaw Museum, opening to the public in 1986.
The house comprised a dining room, drawing room, breakfast room and library on the ground floor, with 4 bedrooms and two dressing rooms on the first floor. The servants' quarters were in the attics and the kitchen service wing.
Remarkably, over the last 200 years the building and its fittings have not been greatly altered. The house has a centrally placed front doorway in the Venetian style. Inside there are some fine Adam style plaster ceilings with two Italianate wall paintings in the Drawing Room. The main staircase has a wrought iron balustrade. The only structural change to the main house was the building of a conservatory on the half landing in 1881 to house the bathroom.
© 2012 Bassetlaw Museum